Headstrong: Women and Empowerment

Interesting exhibition at the Centre for British Photography of self-portraits by contemporary female photographers.

Curated by Fast Forward: Women in Photography the show presented a selection of series of pictures which look at how the photographs feel they are represented, what they are dealing with in their everyday lives and what it means to embrace diversities.

The commentaries on the work were a bit long and worthy. I do like some explanation but at times I found the words stopped the images speaking for themselves.

I liked a series by a group called Rainbow Sisters, a group of LGBTQ+ women, who had each taken three Polaroids labelled “What I was”, “What I am” and “What I will be”, a clever simple idea.

I favoured works which had a dialogue with the past mainly the artists’ mothers. There was a lovely set by Maryam Wahid of her dressed in her mother’s saris in places that were important to her mother. They felt like recreating old snapshots.

Closes 23 April 2023

Review

Guardian


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1