Premiums 2023 #2

Second iteration of this three-part mixed exhibition at the Royal Academy of work by second year student at the schools.

I went to most of these shows last year and had already done the first show of this year. This version featured work by Fungai Benhura, Norberto Spina, Jame St Findlay and Racheal Crowther.

As ever with this show a bit of explanation would enhance the viewing experience. Without that, and particularly with works which are untitled, you can only judge the work by its aesthetic look and if it's a conceptual work that feels unfair.

I liked Benhura's work which seemed to consist of two layers of paint on a canvas but the top layer had small rips in it showing the layer beneath which might have had an image on it. I was drawn in and wanted to know more.

My favourites were the two hanging pieces by Jame St Findlay partly because I am a sucker for pieces made in ceramic. These were both called "Hydro Pony" 1 and 2 but I have no idea what that means. They look like hanging bombs with words and imagines in the glaze. I think I was drawn to them as well because one seemed to have the famous sculpture of Romulus and Remus being fed by the wolf on it. Why? How about telling me!

Closes 12 March 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1