Pictures of the Floating World: Japanese Ukiyo-e Prints

Interesting and beautiful exhibition at York Art Gallery looking at Japanese prints and how they influenced European artists.

The show looked at how prints were produced cheaply in large numbers in Japan from the late 17th century making them affordable and popular in a time of peace when the economy prospered and the arts flourished. There were some good examples from all the major artists including some by Hiroshige and Hokusai and an early example by Suzuki Harunobu.

There were some lovely examples of European works influenced by the prints but here I must confess I didn’t make notes and now I can’t remember who was featured. I loved the two pictures shown here but I have no idea who they are by. Answers on a postcard please! If only I lived closer and could go and have another look!

Closes 29 Mar 2022

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1