Alchemy and Metamorphosis

Innovative exhibition at the Potteries Museum and Art Gallery by Neil Brownswood exploring early ceramic industrialisation through contemporary art.

Using a timeline of objects and archaeology Brownswood examined the early technologies and thirst for experimentation and reacts to them with a series of finished and on-going new works disrupting traditional ceramic skills with digital technology reflecting the fact we are in the midst of our own industrial revolution.

Unfortunately when I was there no-one was working but I guess from the section in one corner that sometimes there were live demonstrations and the commentary said that the artist is working on projects with digital experts and former ceramic industry workers.

A lot of the work investigated experimentation and failure. I loved a long installations of waste ceramic flowers in white piles and 3D printed objects the one shown here blending scans of ceramic objects and disrupting them in the print process, I think.

I am not sure I understood all the nuances of the show but it was very beautiful and I plan to go through some of the videos on the website to learn more.

Closes 30 January 2022

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1