Franz West


Strange exhibition at Tate Modern looking at the work of the sculptor Franz West.

I loved the effect of this work and the vistas that were set up across the gallery however I wasn’t convinced by the work itself and found it a bit messy looking. I went a couple of weeks ago and must admit I’m finding it hard to remember the work as I sit and write this. It’s not really stuck with me.

There was a strange section where they had recreated some of his interactive works and you could handle and interact with them but I found it a little odd that they’d set up two curtained areas for you to do this in! I’m not sure I want to shut myself away in an exhibition and wave some plaster covered everyday objects around. I’m obviously an old fashioned exhibition viewer!

I did like the big works that have been placed in landscapes and it was fun to see one outside at the Tate. A lot of the work seemed to need space and light around them rather than being shut in a room.

Closes on 2 June 2019

Reviews


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1