Bridget Riley: Messengers


Interesting installation at the National Gallery by contemporary artist Bridget Riley.

I thought I’d missed this show in the Annenburg Court but it turned out I’d just not looked up! It is a series of circles painted directly onto the wall and best seen from the top of the staircase.

The information board says it represents clouds and is based on the colour palette of Seurat’s The Bathers which is shown in a room nearby. The title is based on a Constable picture of clouds but also refers the angel messengers in many of the pictures in the gallery. 

I liked its effect on the space but didn’t get the effect described of it leaving afterimages on your retina which start to suggest movement. It surprised me as I find her stripe pictures very effective and have had to leave a room of them before now. I need to go back and try it from some different angles. Anyway even without the effect it’s a nice work in sympathetic colours.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1