Post pop: East meets West

Entertaining exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery looking at the legacy of pop art in China, the Former Soviet Union, Taiwan, the UK and the USA.

I went along to this show expecting it to be quite dry and worthy but it was really colourful, engaging and funny. I laughed out loud at a number of works. I must admit generally I seemed to be drawn to the British and American works more such as Jeff Koons skit on Damian Hurst “Three Ball Total Equilibrium Tank” with three basketballs some of which had the brand name Shaq Attaq. Also Marc Quinn’s skeleton’s having sex called “The Selfish Gene”.

I was also drawn to works by Alexander Kosolapov from his take on the Malevich “Black Square” as a cigarette pack to the statue in the photo I’ve used “Hero, Leader and God”, you decide which is which! Also fun was Leonid Sokov’s “Light from a Window”, pieces of wood cut to represent light from window falling at angel on the wall.

Gu Wenda’s United Nations: Man and Space” took up a whole room with flags of the nations as large hangings in shades of brown. It was only when I read the description that I realized they were made of human hair. It was rather beautiful to walk amongst the hangings.

Reviews
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1