Julie Verhoeven: Whiskers between My Legs

A messy installation at the ICA by Julie Verhoeven looking at concepts of femininity.

Where do I start! Basically it’s a very messy room full of old bits of material, toilet seats and toilet roll with cardboard on the floor. It is like being inside Tracey Emin’s bed! The only femininity it brought out in me was an overwhelming desire to tidy up! I think it was saying something about the mess and reality of human bodies but I don't really want to see that in a gallery.

Sorry I just couldn’t be bothered to try to engage with this. There were videos but they were hard to watch within the mess and a few them were viewed through toilet seats. I did hear other people in the room say how interesting they thought it was so maybe I was just having a cynical day!

Review
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1