Martin Creed: What’s the Point of It?

Surprisingly good retrospective of work by Martin Creed at the Hayward Gallery.

This was definitely a show I went to on the grounds I go to everything I can. The reviews in the papers had been dire and I hated his Turner Prize winning room with the light going on and off but in for a penny (or in this case £11)!

However I loved it! Just walking into the first room to be greeted by the huge rotating neon sign saying “Mother” made me smile, particularly when it speeded up and I felt like I was being chased! The aforementioned lights were in a room with other works and I liked it better in that context as it meant things, in the case a wall of broccoli prints and a video with two dogs on, appeared and disappeared or blended into the gloom.

I found the whole exhibition an element of ‘the take it or leave it’. If there was something you did find nonsense, I didn’t get the pile of cardboard boxes and never found the Blu-Tack, just walk on and you’ll find something else to make you smile, like a car on a terrace which some on and opens its doors of its own accord.

Any show which makes the lift an art work must be OK! And of course I have to mention Orson and Sparky, the Gilbert and George of the dog world!

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1