Janey Morris: Pre-Raphaelite Muse

Small exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of pictures of Jane Morris, the wife of William Morris, model and embroiderer.

I thought I had a good knowledge of Jane Morris but I learnt a lot from this small display. I hadn’t know she had an epileptic daughter who she nursed and that not only did she probably have an affair with Rossetti but also with Wilfred Scawen Blunt, a poet and Irish and Egyptian nationalist.

I got a real sense of her having a lot of female friends in her circle and I loved a picture of her on holiday in Sienna with two daughters of an MP and one of their husbands, taken against a photo study backdrop of the city with the man lounged at the women’s feet. One of the women went on to become the first women on the London County Council.

I also liked the four pictures of her as an older lady only one of which was printed at the time and the plates of which were found in a skip!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1