From Vera to Veruschka: The Unseen Photographs by Johnny Moncada

Exhibition at Somerset House of fashion photographs by Johnny Moncada of Veruschka before she became a supermodel.

I have to admit I’d not heard of Veruschka, and I thought I was into fashion and fashion photography! For those like me she was the first sixties supermodel pre dating Twiggy. This show was therefore a bit lost on me. I did come back and Google as I realised I was missing something!

They were nice pictures and I particularly like one of her in a swimming customer lying half in and half out of a rock pool. But I just didn’t get I was supposed to be wondering at the person not the clothes or the photographs. It was not helped that the gallery was full of an art class having a chat and not really looking at the work.

Definitely a case where I should have done some homework first or maybe a bit more commentary might have helped me!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1