Richard Serra: Drawings for the Courtauld

Exhibition of new drawings by Richard Serra made for and displayed in the Courtauld Gallery.

They were made using a fascinating technique using a sandwich of see though sheets with thick crayon between them, the finished work being the middle sheet with crayon on both sides.

However I must admit I wasn’t moved by them, in fact I am not sure I would call them drawings. As textural abstract pictures I thought they were interesting as a study in black and surface. However I expect something more specific from a drawing such as an idea of what the subject was and I found I was looking at these and trying to work out what they were.

Review
Guardian

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1