Architecture of war

Nice exhibition at the Imperial War Museum using its collection of painting to explore the theme of how modern warfare impacts on buildings and landscapes.

The rooms were well themed looking at building for war, destruction, the effect of war on cities and interiors and it was a chance to show some amazing works. I was pleased to see a number of Nevisnson’s, always a favourite with me.

I liked the interiors section best with the idea of how interiors reflect the threat from outside. I loved a John Piper of a passageway giving a sense of mazes and options as well as threat. However my favourite picture was a drawing of the interior of St Stephen’s Walbrook looking up through the dome which half blown away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1