The Alternative Guide to the Universe

Intriguing exhibition at the Hayward Gallery of work by the work of self-taught artists and architects, fringe physicists and visionary inventors.

Unfortunately I’ve lost my notes on this exhibition and the detail was a bit complicated however generally it was bizarre because you found yourself getting sucked into to very weird ideas with art works then being based on them. But once you like the art work you seemed to start believing that the idea might be right when it was patently barking!

I loved the architectural section downstairs which produced some beautiful fantasy architectural drawings and models. I was not so keen on the invention section upstairs although did love the little robot pulling a cart which I was lucky enough to be there to see it going for a walk and to be slightly freaked out when it followed me!

The last bit seemed to be about identify and relationship with people. There was some serious odd photos of models of children which the artists had dressed up.

All very odd but much more interesting than I expected.

Reviews
Times
Telegraph
Guardian
Evening Standard

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1