Ellen Gallagher: AxME

Retrospective of the work of Ellen Gallagher at Tate Modern.

I find this exhibition hard to describe as it is hard to define what the artist does as she works in so many media and I found it hard for a while to see the pieces as a body of work but by the end I had had more of a vision of what she does.

The main themes were than she often works on penmanship paper which absorbs ink and paint so that an image is created on each side of the paper. It can also build up to create a textures surface She also used a lot of collage based on magazine. I particularly liked the works where she had created a filigree effect with the cut our paper.

However although I understood the what by the end I am still not so sure of the why however I found the works very beautiful particular the Watery Ecstatic series at the end.

Reviews
Times
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1