Meschac Gaba: Museum of Contemporary African Art

Lovely installation exhibition at Tate Modern of this work by Meschac Gaba consisting of 12 rooms which sort to look at the nature of a museum and European perceptions of African art.

I loved this exhibition as it really got you thinking and introduced an idea. I loved the desk with money set into the top with pictures of great artists on which I guess was saying something about art and money. I also liked the art and religion room which looked at how spiritual objects are displayed in museums out of their context.

I also loved the chandelier made out of old books in the library room and the fact it was based on an old African saying that when an old person dies it is like a library burning. Isn’t that lovely!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1