Patrick Caulfield

Retrospective exhibition at Tate Britain of the work of Patrick Caulfield shown as a partner exhibition to the Gary Hume.

I loved these Pop artesque pictures with their bold outlines but also subtle detail in the finish. Somehow although the effect was very flat they also had a 3d quality. I loved “Office desk against a blue window” for the wonderful silhouettes but also for the fact he included the pen holder and detail of the items on the desk.

I had seen his work before but never realized the when he adds very detailed sections, such as roses, that these are painted on. In my ignorance I had assumed they were collage! I loved this contrast of the bold and the detailed.

I was also amused at the way he depicted wallpaper and interior patterns, he is almost a Vuillard of pop art!

Reviews
Telegraph

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1