Michael Sandy : Saints Alive

Stunning exhibition at the National Gallery of kinetic sculptures by Michael Sandy based on paintings of the saints in the gallery.

The only proviso I need to make from the start is that it would be better if more worked! On the day I went of the 7 pieces only 2 were working and one of those was the rather unbreakable looking Catherine wheel. However I thought it was so good I’ll keep going back in the hope of seeing them all in action!

On the day I went the multiple saint and St Thomas were working. I found a great delight in seeing pictures I know so well in 3d form and moving albeit in a slightly shaky way. The multiple saint had legs from a St Michael stamping on a devil. I think it should have had the head of St Peter Martyr but that seemed to have gone missing. I so wanted to see the St Jerome beating himself with a stone and I can’t guess what the headless St Francis would do!

Reviews
Times
Telegraph
Evening Standard

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1