Summer Exhibition 2023

Eclectic exhibition at the Royal Academy for their annual summer show.

I thought this year was a much better hang than some with interesting small touches, like hanging a section with pictures of chairs and another with dogs, but also a good use of matching the colours of works to create an effect. The general theme this year was ‘Only Connect’ which seemed to give more flexibility than some years.

My favourite room was hung by Clare Woods with an emphasis on still-life and hanging paintings and photographs together.

I was amused to find a nice hang of prints by Anne Desmet whose work I had seen three days that week at various shows.

Stand outs for me included a landscape by Humphrey Ocean which was a surprise as I know him more for portraits and birds, a bold purple landscape by Barbara Rae, a huge dead goose by the late Tony Scherman and Cornelia Parker’s print of glasses from above.

Closes 20 August 2023


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1