Young Bomberg and the Old Masters


Interesting small exhibition at the National Gallery looking at how Bomberg was inspired by his study of works in the gallery in the early 20th century.

The most interesting thing about this display was that it showed studies as well as the finished works. Because Bomberg’s work is quite abstract and disjointed I usually can’t see the subject in it but seeing the more realistic studies with them helped me see the image trapped within. 

I am not sure I always understood the connection with National Gallery work that they were trying to make. It might have worked better if more of the Old Masters were hanging in the room rather than having to remember the images in this display and walk round the main galleries to find the originals. However I am going to a day’s workshop on Bomberg and art education in a few weeks so hopefully I will be enlightened.

Closes 1 March 2020

Reviews



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1