Peter Fischli and David Weiss: Should I Paint a Pirate Ship on My Car With an Armed Figure on It Holding a Decapitated Head By the Hair?


Fun exhibition at Sprüth Magers of three installation works by Peter Fischli and David Weiss.

The main work on show was Raft, part of which is shown here, which is a sculpture of objects on a raft made in polyurethane. Referencing the Raft of the Medusa in the Louvre in this item I felt it was memories rathe than people being saved. The objects were eclectic mix of paint pots, toilet rolls, radios, old furniture, crates, an accordion and much more. The whole thing was surrounded by circling crocodiles and hippopotamuses, albeit that in this case they were circulating in another room.  

On the first floor the installation consisted of 12 tables with groups of black and white photographs which I again felt was about snapshots of memories although in this case it was looking at the art of amusements parks but with the colour and excitement removed.

I admit I never found the third video installation which was in the basement and never worked out what the longest title of an art show I’ve ever seen actually referred to however I did enjoy the show.

Closed 14 March 2020

Review



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1