The Moon


Fascinating exhibition at the National Maritime Museum looking at the science and cultural significance of the Moon.

I loved the mix of science and society in this show. It opened with a look at what the moon has meant to people over the years and how its cycle has influenced us even before we understood it. It then looked at the early science of discovery including a mention of James Nasmyth who had also been featured in the Enlightenment exhibition I’d been to earlier that week.

I loved the section on the art of the moon including this lovely picture of it seen from the Thames at Greenwich, a view I have seen many times. It included the earliest drawings as well as contemporary art. There was also a good section explaining the science and for all of ten minutes I understood tides but I’m afraid I’m back to being puzzled.

There was of course an excellent section on the Apollo space missions as the show was marking the 50th anniversary of the moon landing. This included people’s memories of watching it so my friends and I stood and shared ours with each other. There were also commemorative toys and souvenirs plus a piece of moon rock.

The show finished with displays on the current state of exploration and possible new expeditions to the moon as well as whether it might ever be habitable.

Closes 5 January 2010

Reviews




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1