On Edge: Living in an Age of Anxiety


Strange exhibition at the Science Gallery looking at anxiety and how an anxious state can fuel positive action.

I admit I’d already done a lot that day but I found this show difficult to understand and instead of enlightening me on the topic of anxiety it seemed to bring it on. There were some interesting installations blending contemporary art and science but I found them quite confused and difficult to understand.

I liked Alice May Williams’ paintings based on the colours of women’s football strips and using supportive phrases from coaches and Cian McConn’s “Some People Have No Shoes” which lists observations of others which changed his self-criticism of himself.  I like the work shown which by Sarah Howe which used mirrors and blocks to reveal and hide videos of repeated gestures of anxiety. It induced a feeling of confusion and a desire to work out where images were coming from.

Closes 19 January 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1