Richard Hoglund: Twelve Joyful Hours


Calm exhibition at the Ronchini Gallery of new work by Richard Hoglund.

The pictures are abstracts in pale stripes but are inspired by the Stations of the Cross, the Catholic idea of a series of pictures around the church as a mediation on the events leading to the Crucifixion, and are shown in series of 14 to reflect this. The smaller pictures are the same size as the Mona Lisa and the picture inspired the composition of one of the series although I must admit I can’t see how. I did think the series would look lovely in a church and would provide a meditative trail.

As you know I’m not a fan of abstract work but I did like these for their precision. They had a feel of a pastel Rothko and I liked the detail when you looked close such as a sun ray effect scratched into the bottom layer of the composition in one series. The large pictures had a sense of sunrise and an interesting iridescent effect.

Close son 23 March 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1