Martin Creed: Toast


Wacky exhibition at Hauser and Wirth of new work by Martin Creed.

I found myself smiling within seconds of walking into the gallery as I spotted a sculpture of a small dog on a high shelf with small shelves in a step pattern with night lights on leading up to it. It was a bit crude close up but from a distance the stance and expression was perfect. You then moved on to a bronze slice of peanut butter toast and a loved a dancing sock.

I liked his series of Matisse like cut outs in blues and black. Because they had a seaside feel they made me think of Brighton. At first sight they were quite a conventional picture but as you looked you realised the objects were not in logical sequence so you got bridges under water and a tunnel on a cloud.

I do have a moan though in that half the handout had interesting looking clothes listed but when I asked where they were it turned out they were worn by performance artists who would usually appear at regular intervals in the show but they had been doing some filming in the morning so they were taking a longer break and the assistants weren’t sure when they’d appear again. There also seemed to be some videos showing every 20 minutes but again I seemed to miss them. It was shame as the performance art would have made an already fun, wacky show even better.

Closed on 9 February 2019

Reviews


Comments

Anonymous said…
There is apparently a lot to identify about this. I think you made certain nice points in features also.

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1