Rodney Graham: Canadian Impressionist

Varied exhibition at Canada House of work by Rodney Graham.

The title described him as an Impressionist but I’m not sure I understand that title. I think it may be ironic. If I was picking a genre I’d have gone for Pop Art.

I liked the fun 3D abstract works with colourful pillars of wood coming out of the surface like a 3D version of a Damien Hurst spot picture. “Sunday Sun, 1937” was a fun picture of a man sitting up in bed reading a large comic. It was only after reading the commentary that I realised the hands on each side where from different people.

I also like the take on a Duchamp readymade, a tall wooden stool with a hammer in the top, splattered with paint from the studio.

Closed on 27 May 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1