Ipek Duben :They/Onlar

Confusing installation at Fabrica in Brighton by Ipek Duben.

The show consisted of a very dark space filled with life sized videos of people talking about their experiences of difference in Turkish society. I was partly confused by the dark. It was actually quite hard to walk around and see people in the space. I found it quite disorientating. I also found it hard to find the right place to stand to hear the soundtracks particularly as one soundtrack rather dominated so it was hard to hear the others against it. The soundtracks were also quite long and I didn’t have the time to give to the show properly.

I added to my confusion as I went in through the wrong door. If you are going enter by the Duke Street entrance then at least you get a chance to read the explanation of the show rather than being plunged into dark confusion with no idea what the focus was.

I will say though that the life sized videos looked really impressive in the dark space and it felt like the people were there with you.

Closed on 29 May 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1