Nativity

Showing of the fabulous “Nativity” at the National Gallery, Martha Fiennes's film which was featured in the video for the recent exhibition about architecture in Renaissance paintings.

I could have watched this for hours. The background, architecture, figures and sound all self-generate themselves continuously so the film has no set length and no specific narrative. However your head starts to make up narratives. I found these were often set by the music and in my case at one point the sky went dark, the architecture changed and “Silent Night” played and I found it so moving, and yet it wasn’t meant.

The work had the same effect on my as Anthony Gormley’s “Field” works which have hundreds of small figures  in a defined space. I found both works hard to walk away from because of the strong sense them build up that the work will still exist when you are not there and you feel a bit like you are deserting it!

I want to see more using this SLOimage technology it was really beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1