GENERATION: 25 Years of Contemporary Art in Scotland.

Fascinating exhibition over a number of galleries in Scotland giving an overview of 25 years of contemporary art in Scotland. I saw the works at the Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Scottish National Gallery and the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art.

As with all contemporary art overview there was good stuff and not so good stuff but I think I only said ‘silly’ and moved on rapidly about twice! On the bad side, I am not sure videos always work in a gallery space. Much as I found Henry Coombes film about Landseer amusing it didn’t have the same feeling as viewing an art work. Similarly Rosalind Nashashibi’s films were interesting but just demanded too much of your time.

I was interested in Callum Innes large geometric pictures which were made my painting square then using turpentine to remove one square. It’s hard to describe but a good effect and an interesting technique. Who could fail to be amused by Ross Sinclair’s “Real Life Rocky Mountain” which put a hill indoors complete with waterfalls and stuffed animals? Oh and Simon Starling’s elaborate hen house!

My favourite room was the Alison Watt pictures of white drapery. I had loved her exhibition at the National Gallery in London so it was great to see her work again. It was also good to see more works by Charles Avery of his fantasy island.

I just wish I’d had more time to go round some of the other galleries in Scotland and see more.

Reviews
Times
Independent

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1