Taylor Wessing Photographic Portrait Prize 2013

Interesting exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of the shortlisted photographs for this year’s Taylor Wessing photographic Portrait Prize.

There were some lovely works in this year’s show and some interesting ideas but I thought there were too many of prepubescent or young looking girls which gave it a slightly odd feeling. I think a few have something to say but it just felt like too much of a theme. I did however like the running theme of twins or pairs of girls or women.

I liked the work by Paul Dewitte called Elsie which was part of a series in which children dressed in their parents clothes which had a Dutch feeling. Also the picture of Mary Beard, the historian, surrounded by her books by Adrian Peach.

I think my favourite was of a joyous conductor in an African school with a beaming smile despite the fact the words of “Oh God our help in ages past” were on the blackboard behind him.

Review
Evening Standard

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1