Mira Schendel

Retrospective exhibition at Tate Modern of the work of Mira Schendel, a Brazilian artist.

I preferred the installation work in this exhibition to the pictures. Somehow the works en mass in a thought our design worked better than they did individually. It might have helped if I could have read the words on works but a Brazilian friend assured me it didn’t make a lot of difference!

I liked the installation Still Waves of Probability which a square of very thin transparent fibres which looked like rain. It was so tempting to run through it but I obeyed the notices and didn’t!

The exhibition was good at explaining the philosophical theories behind the work but I felt if you needed that much explanation the pieces weren’t really speaking in their own right and maybe everything was just a  bit too clever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1