Paul Klee : Making visibile

Delightful exhibition at Tate Modern looking at the life and work of Paul Klee.

I say delightful because you got the impression of a nice man who loved his wife and had nice friends, not what I was expecting at all! I liked the focus on the chronology of his life so telling a story and leading you to want to know what happened to him next. In some areas there was an intense focus of a room for just one year. I  also liked the fact that it was fairly sparsely hung as too many works might have clashed.

I preferred the boldness of the paintings to the more ethereal nature of the oil-transfer works. I responded to his abstract style of representing things and but I also liked the magic square type paintings which seemed to be about colours reacting with each other. He seemed to be constantly experimenting throughout his life.

Hats off to my fellow visitor who was wearing a cardigan in a Paul Klee type design, I do hope it was deliberate!

Reviews
Times
Guardian
Telegraph
Independent
Evening Standard

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1