Joy Labinjo : Beloved Take What You Need

Impressive exhibition at Tiwani Contempory of new work by Anglo-Nigerian artist Joy Labino.

This was another exciting new gallery space I found on a walk up Cork Street although I did find it a challenge to find the way in.

I loved these big, bold works depicting an everyday Black life and family dynamics. There was a tenderness to the interactions and I loved the bold colours. The surface had a broken-up quality while being readable and engaging.

Loved the quote in the press release that the show is "Labinjo speaking to herself, and to anyone that feels the same as she". Although placed in a culture, I felt they were about the universality of human experience.

Closed 11 November 2023

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1