A Hard Man is Good to Find!

Fabulous exhibition at the Photographers’ Gallery looking at Queer pictures of men in the 20th century and the development of physique photography.

The show was arranged around areas of London where men went who were seeking other men and looked at the aesthetics that developed there that were unique to the city.

The show was so tender and was as much a history of Queer London as of the images. I found lots of wonderful stories I want to find out more about.

I was intrigued to find photographs by Keith Vaughan, an artist I know quite well but I’d never come across the photographs. I was also delighted to find the work of Montague Glover as I’d seen a book by him years ago, which I loved, of photographs of soldiers and working men. I’ve just looked up the book and it’s now £280 second hand!

Closes 12 June 2023


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1