Mark Bradford: Cerberus


Striking exhibition at Hauser & Wirth of new work by Mark Bradford.

The commentary said this show is “dedicated to places difficult and in-between, where conflicts arise, but also where the hope of resolution if to be found.” I didn’t get any of that from the pictures themselves but I did like them and found they drew you in being striking at a distance but being intriguingly layered close up.

I thought they worked best in the smaller of the two galleries where I did stop and sit to look at them for a while. Although they were busy abstract images they were calming to look at made you take time to pause and look more carefully. My favourite was “Frostbite” with splashes of bright turquoise paint and swathes of yellow.

Closes 21 December 2019

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1