Francis Upritchard - Wetwang Slack


Strange exhibition in the Curve gallery at the Barbican of new work by Francis Upritchard. 

The website calls it a “site-specific installation which draws from figurative sculpture, ceramics, glassblowing and more”. I’m afraid I found it a bit of hotch potch of work. I liked some of it but wasn’t sure how it hung together as a cohesive statement. I did think it had been displayed well in this strange space as different groups of work appeared as you walked round the curve.

I liked the weird figures which welcomed you to the space and the set of ceramic pots with strange faces on them which reminded me of the Roman funeral urns I’d seen a few weeks in an exhibition of Roman Londoners. There was also an interesting take on the Parthenon Frieze at the end.

Closes on 6 January 2019

Reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1