Annie Albers


Interesting exhibition at Tate Modern looking at the life and work of Anni Albers.

It was great to see textile work being given equal status to paint in this show but I did find it elegant but cold. I loved the way the space had been divided by gauze walls making the gallery feel quite different and interesting to find later on that this was a technique Albers had used herself.

I was most interested in the early section on the Bauhaus looking at how the school brought together different art forms with equal standing. I was fascinated by Paul Klee’s colour workshop and it was nice to include a picture by him in the show. This was where her ideas of using a grid as the heart of abstraction started.

I loved some jewelry she made using everyday objects such as hairpins. I also liked seeing textiles in different colour ways including Eclat J which is still in production. I also loved six hangings in black and gold she made for a synagogue which people sit in front of entranced.

Closes on 27 January 2019

Reviews



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1