The Florilegium: Royal Botanical Gardens Sydney

Confusing exhibition at Kew Gardens looking at the Royal Botanical Gardens in Sydney.

 
I say confusing because I wasn’t sure how the commentary on the history of botany in Australia and the creating of their botanical gardens matched the watercolours. It was only later that I realised a Florilegium is a collection of paintings of plants and this set had been commissioned recently to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the opening of the gardens.
 
Checking back on my notes I now realise there was a lot on Sir Joseph Banks, the botanist on Cooks first expedition to the area, who maintained an interest and on his return and sent botanists out on later expeditions to collect for himself and Kew Gardens. I encountered him again a few weeks later in the James Cook exhibition at the British Library.
 
The pictures were beautiful, detailed works showing the leaves, flowers and fruits of the plants. The descriptions were very detailed. There was an interesting video about how one of the artists have gone about finding a specimen and then painting it.
 
Closes 16 September 2018

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in writing this blog.
I am hoping to check out the same high-grade content from you
later on as well. In fact, your creative writing abilities has inspired me to get
my very own site now ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1