Look at You Now: Photo Portraits of Theatre Makers by Young People

Charming exhibition at the National Theatre pairing photos of theatre makers by young people alongside childhood photos of the subjects.

 
The pictures are spread throughout the theatre. I think there was a leaflet listing the works but I never found it so I’m not sure if I caught them all. Some were even  on lift doors which was fun but a little irritating if the doors opened as you were looking at them.
 
The young people were mentored by professional photographers and spent time getting to know the sitters and the older versions were based on a childhood picture. I loved the picture of Rufus Norris, the current director, covered in mud to match a similar version of his cheeky younger self. Richard Eye was shown in a scarf with anchors on as a nod to the sailor suit in the younger picture. Many sitters showed a real sense of fun and an enjoyment in recreating their youth.
 
I think my favourite was this one of Simon Callow as he still has the same hairline albeit a little less now.
 
Closes on 13 October 2018

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1