Out of the Shadows: Portraits by the Douglas Brothers

Small display at the National Portrait Gallery of photographs by the Douglas Brothers.

I must admit I was more interested in the story of how these pictures were rescued from a warehouse which was being demolished where they had been stored following the brother’s partnership being dissolved. I liked the way they were hung with no labels which made you look at the technique first not who the people were. There was then a useful handout to go to see who the people were if you’d not worked it out.

I found the pictures too dark and misty as they were taken with long exposures which “embraced movement and blur”. I prefer sharper work. However they showed an interesting group of the emerging actors, writer and musicians of the mid-1990s. I loved the pictures of Kenneth Branagh and Tilda Swinton.

Closes on 28 January 2017

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1