Clarence House

Annual opening of Clarence House giving the opportunity to see five of the ground floor rooms of this Royal house currently home to Prince Charles.

I mainly went because the descriptions said that some of the Queen Mother’s art collection was on show and I knew she had collected a lot of the artists I like from the first half of the 20th century.  I wasn’t disappointed as there were a couple of Sickerts, an Augustus John and more Pipers than I could count. I was also to see various models for sculptures I knew such as the one of Churchill and his wife by the lake at Chartwell.

It was interesting to see the rooms as well. Although grand they had a homely feel to them and as ever at the Royal Palaces the guide was brilliant and really brought the place to life. She had a good blend of stories from the past and present and showed a real personal interest in some of the objects.

Closed on 31 August 2017

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1