David Hall: TV interruptions

Fascinating small installation at Tate Britain of work by David Hall.

David Hall was one of the pioneers of video art so after visiting the Turner Prize earlier in the day I felt he had a lot to answer for! However I quite liked this.

The show was a room of screens made to look like old fashioned televisions. These were showing 10 short films which were shown on television as part of the 1971 Edinburgh Festival. They were shown unannounced with no credits to disturb passive viewing. The display had the sets at odd angles so you could only watch one or two screens at a time.

I must admit I now can’t really remember what any of the films were, one might have been a running tap, but I liked the way you had to walk amongst them to watch and the slightly retro feel to an installation.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1