Man Ray: Portraits

Super exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery focusing on portraits by the photographer and artist Man Ray.

The exhibition was arranged chronologically grouping works by where Man Ray was living at the time.

My favourite section was for 1920s Paris a period I keep falling over at the moment. There was a wonderful picture of Ernest Hemmingway in a woolly jumper! He also took the publicity shots of James Joyce when Ulysses came out. I found it a wonderful insight into a group of people. I wasn’t quite sure how Thomas Beecham crept in but it was a good photo!

I also liked the section on Lee Miller and the inclusion of fashion photography as well as straight portraits. Of course I liked the Virginia Woolf and do wonder what that sitting was like!

It was nice that there were shots of Picasso throughout the show from the 1920s to 1970s.

The exhibition introduced me to people I hadn’t heard of through ones I had and off to research a few of them now! 

Reviews
Telegraph
Evening Standard


 

Comments

Scott said…
ON my list of things 'to do' in the next month

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1