Sky Arts’Portrait Artist of the Decade

Delightful exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery of eight portraits of Dame Judi Dench from the Sky Arts ‘Portrait Artist of the Year’ special.

To mark the shows tenth anniversary the show had invited back all the previous winners to paint Judi Dench. I watched the show and loved it. It was fascinating to see what the winners were doing now and from  what I remember all of them had got good commissions.

The winner was Gareth Reid’s detailed drawing which was a good likeness but it wasn’t my favourite. It was judged by a curator from the gallery and I could see why they had chosen it.

I think my favourite was a head and shoulders study by Christian Hook with abstract neon colours which caught her cheeky look. I also loved Christabel Blackburn’s full length seated figure which worked better in the flesh than on TV or in a photograph.

I’d missed the show last time I’m was there as there was no mention of it in the entrance or signs to it. I am still finding the refurbished  gallery quite annoying due to lack of signage. At least new signs had appeared opposite the lift to tell you what for you are in albeit it that is just printed on A4 paper!

Closed 31 December 2023


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1