Hilma af Klint & Piet Mondrian : Forms of Life

Fascinating exhibition at Tate Modern comparing 20th century abstract artists Hilma af Klint and Piet Mondrian.

This show guided you through how these artists reached their abstract ideas based on similar ideas and influences and yet they never met. I thought it was an interesting idea to bring together two artists who didn’t know each other as so many shows are about relationships.

The show explained simply and well how their art developed and for the first time I understood Mondrian’s grid pictures. It was an excellent idea to have a section at the centre called The Ether which went into more depth on some of the ideas without getting in the way of the narrative and the paintings. I liked that you could enter this from two directions either quite near the start of your visit or near the end. I did it near the start but popped back in later for more explanation of Theosophy which I hadn’t really understood.

I was more drawn to Mondrian’s work which seemed to be driven more by logic and simplifying. I found Klint’s too ethereal with a lot of it being driven by spirit guides and the unconscious however I did love the colours and the effect of the final room of large works designed for a planned temple.

I was fascinated to learn that Mondrian had painted single flowers throughout his career and loved some of those works.

I would have liked a little bit more on the artists lives just to give some context. Needless to say I am off to Google.

Closed 3 September 2023


Reviews

Times

Guardian

Telegraph

Evening Standard


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1