In Focus: Vermeer

Interesting online lecture from the National Gallery on the work of Vermeer.

Lucrezia Walker took us through the paintings of Vermeer in what she described as ten easy bites. It was a fun approach, grouping the work into eight themes which added segments on his early life and legacy.

I must admit I have done quite a lot on Vermeer recently, as the big show is on in Amsterdam, and I don’t think this lecture added a lot to what I had already learnt. She did describe the pictures well and did lead you to look at the works carefully. She raised some interesting questions about what they might mean but, of course, there are no answers.

It did make me wish, even more, that I had been organised enough to go to great exhibition as Vermeer is one of my favourites.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1