Fruits of the Spirit: Art from the Heart

Interesting online tour from the National Gallery of their current virtual exhibition Fruits of the Spirt.

Revd Dr Ayla Lepine, who has been working at the gallery on an Ahmanson Fellowship on art and religion, talked about putting together this online exhibition. She explained how it was based on the personal and communal attributes set out by St Paul in a letter to the Galatians. Each of the nine attributes is represented by a painting from the National Gallery and one from a regional one. They are shown online as if in a gallery with a room for each pair. It also comes with an online catalogue with essays on the paintings not only from the galleries but also by community groups in each area represented.

Lepine also talked us through some of the pairings. I’m not sure I always understood the links but it did set up some interesting contrasting styles and ideas such as Van Eyck’s “Arnolfini Wedding” from 1434 with “Two Auld Wifies, Dundee” by Ron Stenberg from 1982.

I have since had a look at the virtual exhibition and I’m afraid I’m not convinced. I find it quite cumbersome to use and slightly disorientating. I like the idea of the themes and the bringing together of different works but I would rather see them in person. I gather each regional gallery is going to have a physical show around the work they have ‘lent’ and I would rather see those. In fact I did find the Foundling Museum’s version just yesterday and found that more satisfactory. 

Exhibition 

Catalogue 

Review

Telegraph


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1