Katerina Jebb in Conversation

Interesting online interview from the Victoria and Albert Museum with contemporary artist Katerina Jebb.

Oriole Cullen skilfully led Katerina through her career and influences. Katerina’s work is photographic montage often using a standard scanner to record either a whole object or person or to scan them in sections and reassemble the parts, a bit like the Hockney Polaroid montages.

Katerina did not always talk that clearly about her work but I guess, like many artists, she is not always sure how a work happened at one point she said “I don’t know why I made it, I just made it”. However she said some insightful things about art in general and I loved it when she said art “should have the capacity to change your frequency.”

When the V&A reopens she will have an installation inspired by a sampler by Elizabeth Parker from the 1830s which simply, in red thread on a cream textile, outlines the terrible things that have happened to her as a domestic servant. This is a remarkable sampler which I had never come across before. It would gave been nice to know a bit more about the installation but I guess that is a surprise for when we get back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1