It’s True, It’s True, It’s True: The Trail of Artemisia Gentileschi

Videoed play made available by the Barbican on the Trial of the 17th century female artist Artemisia Gentileschi.

Two of the things I have been most sad to miss during this Covid-19 lockdown have been the Artemisia exhibition at the National Gallery, which is hopefully being rescheduled, and this play which I was due to see at the Barbican. I’ve been an admirer of Artemisia’s work since reading a novel about her and of course seeing her work. I think her self-portrait in the Royal Collection is one of my favourite pictures. I was therefore delighted when an email popped up telling me about this videoed version of the play.

Produced by Breach Theatre iot is largely based on the transcript of the trial of Agostino Tassi for breach of promise to marry Artemisia in the course of which she accuses him of rape. At its heart it is a classically, hopefully old fashioned, bad rape trail with witnesses brought to her bad character and the defendant allowed to cross examine her. It is still a visceral experience to watch it. I loved the recreation of two of her pictures which pertained to the trail and her descriptions of why her versions of common subjects have been painted differently because she is a woman.

For most of the play all the roles were taken by three female actors with a fourth appearing for the final tableaux and song. The performances were stunning and particularly with the actress playing Agostino who gave him all the arrogance and swagger of an overconfident man. I wasn’t so convinced of the song at the end but I’m not sure how else it could have been rounded off and I suspect that would have worked better live.

Online until 30 April 2020

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1