Spare Parts: Rethinking Human Repair


Fascinating exhibition at King’s College Science Gallery looking at how the human body repairs and regenerates both at a physical and metaphysical level and how science can enhance this.

I admit I found a lot of these pieces were interesting and beautiful but I must admit I didn’t understand a lot of the descriptions. The gallery itself was exhibit with wooden structures and textiles dividing the space and described as a “prosthesis to the gallery”.

My favourite piece was the bee hive shown here where the heat generated by the bees is helping to grow human tissue in the pyramid on the top. A very helpful gallery assistant saw me looking at it and came over to describe it. I was fascinated to watch the bees coming in and out of the gallery via a tube in the wall and the assistant told me about how they speed up or slow down depending on the weather and time of day. Don’t worry the hive is fully encased and there were no bees flying round the show.

Closes 12 May 2019

Review

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sky Arts Portrait Artist of the Year Exhibition 2019

Thomas Becket: Murder and Making of a Saint

Courtauld summer school day 1